Sunday 15 November 2009

No Show Rose

There's a bit of a chicken and egg situation going on with the page I'd love to show you today. Sort of. I do know which came first - the page - which I finished last month. But when I came to do the journaling, I realised that I hadn't really left enough room for the full story. At the time my solution was to add strips of journaling along the side of the photo: but I know what you're going to say. They don't look very easy to read. You'd be absolutely right. So, to remedy that now, I'm telling the story again right here where you can read it too. It goes something like this:

It was June 1972. I was about to finish my first year of school and I was going out on a high. It had been a good year and the best was yet to come. My Rose Princess costume - lovingly, cunningly crafted by my mum from old Bridesmaid dress- was ready for the Fancy Dress Parade. It had layers of pink organza, a leaf green bodice and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on. I was going to look hot.
"You look hot," my mum said, putting a cool hand to my forehead and bustling me to bed. I wasn't the only one. Turned out that nearly everyone in the class was hot. We all had measles and we all missed the show. Disappointed wouldn't be the word. I was distraught; i was devastated. Even the promise of a new handbag (orange pvc. Gilt chain handle. Fabulous.) didn't ease the pain: and it usually did. Does today too, if I'm honest. Anyway, I kept the dress. I wore it until it ripped; until the bodice and the bits I was trying to force into it were nowhere near the same size. You never forget your first party dress. Never. Maybe sad, but always true.

Today I'm Loving...Bright November sunshine and clean windows at the same time. It's like polishing your glasses. Supersized. Happy Sunday!

24 comments:

Liberty :) said...

:( awww what a shame for you!! obviously something that stuck with you forever! "no show rose" i like that!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

What a great story! Love the page!

scrappyjacky said...

Love your story...and the page...we must all have one of those if we think hard enough.Please send sun...it's still pouring here.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great post - the story (and the asides) are fabulous. I can just imagine it all happening.
But I really want to comment on your layout - it's gorgeous. I love the frayed edges, love the vintage illustrations, love the roses!
TFP,
Rinda

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a great post, Sian. I really enjoyed the way you told the story and particularly your "Today I'm Loving..." feature. :o)

humel said...

Fabby page :-)

Slightly less sure about the handbag.... ;-)

JO SOWERBY said...

fab story and gorgeous LO,
jo xx

Tracy said...

Awww, what a pity! Lovely lo

Becky said...

What a lovely story to journal - so sad though that you missed the parade! I love the layout - the flowers on it are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I remember that dress- i was so jealous, but i did get your measles, i think!! Love this page

Tinkertaylor said...

I just love your little stories along with that gorgeous layout, thanks for sharing

Lizzie said...

Great story and a lovely layout. What a shame for you though.. that is the sort of event we never ever forget. I'm glad you got to enjoy your dress though - until it fell apart lol!
The journalling strips look quite good next to the photo - a fairly original solution to your problem (though I agree it helps to plan ahead - not something I'm brilliant at either, but I'm learning too!)

Love the blog. Always something interesting going on.

Jay said...

What a lovely, sad story. Sorry you missed your fancy dress parade.
Your layout is gorgeous.
I hoped you enjoyed your walk in the sunshine.

Hazel said...

Love the page and the story although it must have been really disappointing for you.

Eleanor said...

Fabulous layout and you certainly tell a riveting tale with great style.
(I was supposed to be going on a school trip to Vienna in 1975, (experience for German O level) first time abroad, and I don't suppose my parents could really afford it, but got sick with glandular fever, so couldn't go, was ill for months and have never got over that aching disappointment.)
I am loving the 'today I'm loving' thing - may I copy?
E
xx

Helen said...

I'm so loving to come over and read your stories!!! beautiful LO!!
thanks for sharing!

Scrapdolly said...

What a shame but what a great story to have shared

Unknown said...

A great story, you tell it so well.

sharyncarlson said...

So sad about the measles! The way you've written this story is so beautiful and vivid. You are a great writer! And the layout is so lovely too!

Anonymous said...

What a great story to scrapbook! I missed my first dance recital for the same reason. I don't have such vivid memories though. Your journaling is wonderful.

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

What a sweet story! It sounds like an absolutely lovely dress. Really, if the whole class was sick, they should have rescheduled, don't you think? Thank you for sharing the story!

Ifa said...

LOL...fantastic story Sian...now I see why it won't fit. How about a DLO to accomodate the text ? Shame to do anything to that beautiful LO.

Sian said...

Ifa, that's a perfect idea. I know I'm getting more of that paper in a kit, so that's what I'll do Thank you!

SarahLP said...

Lovely story, Sian, and a beautiful LO. I like Ifa's idea too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails