Wednesday 12 February 2014

Sending You a Story

The other day I had some scraps on my desk and some quotes in my notes, so I thought I would make a new story card and


share some of the good thoughts I had found in case they inspire you to start on a new story too.

"A song ain't nothin' in the world but a story just wrote with music to it"  Hank Williams Snr
"It is not the voice that commands the story, it is the ear"  Italo Calvino
"If you don't know the trees, you may be lost in the forest, but if you don't know the stories you may be lost in life." Anon
a longer one, maybe not to put on a card, but certainly worth thinking about when journaling:
"Rule one of reading other people's stories is that whenever you say 'well, that's not convincing,' the author tells you that's the bit that wasn't made up. This is because real life is under no obligation to be convincing"  Neil Gaiman 
and my favourite today:
"I cannot tell how the truth may be,
I say the truth as twas said to me"  
Sir Walter Scott from The Lay of the Last Minstrel
I'll be keeping an eye out for any more I like and adding them to my card collection, which will be taking a brown and blue turn with my January buys of Studio Calico Wood Veneer Farm Animals, seam binding in blue and brown and that Caribbean Blue twine I used here.  Anyone else bought anything they especially love lately?

 


 
 
 
 

20 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Your cards are beautifully unique Sian. My new favourite is the wood plank background stamp, much in evidence on my desk this week.

Cheri said...

Gorgeous card Sian! I love the Caribbean blue twine.

Melissa said...

What a lovely card & the twine is a fantastic color!

I like all these quotes, but my favorite is the one about a song being a story . . . and it reminded me of the song my uncle wrote to my aunt. I just made myself a note to scrap that story and type out his lyrics. Thanks for the inspiration.

alexa said...

And my favourite of your wise sayings? The Neil Gaiman one ... Such a pretty card, Sian, and I am always amazed at how you can create such lovely things time after time. I think there must be a great well of loveliness way down in your soul :).

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I've always loved that Neil Gaiman quote. :)

Carmen said...

Oh I love this! Keep them coming - I can't wait to see your brown and blue phase. My latest purchase that I love was my sennelier pastels :)

Ruth said...

I do so admire the work you put into making your cards (and am always a delighted recipient ...!)

Lisa-Jane said...

I've been really good since before Christmas and I haven't bought anything. Except some veneer hearts for my OLW but that doesn't count does it?....

Sheena said...

Interesting quotes x
Apart from PL stuff I've not made many purchases since Christmas apart from a corner chomper to replace one that broke!

Sandie said...

What a beautiful card and some lovely quotes there

Karen said...

A beautiful card, and a wonderful collection of quotes---most of which I didn't know.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm wondering if there's a Valentine's Day story to be told with this beautiful card.

Miriam said...

Happy Valentines day Sian. Lovely quotes and all new to me.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love your card and quotes. I'm loving my storage bins I've been buying as I'm knee deep in purging supplies and setting up a craft/guest room.

Nathalie said...

This card is so uniquely you :) I like the ink drops and the vintage feel.

Susanne said...

Lately, I am collecting up quotes, but not scrappy materials. Thanks for sharing those.

Sinead said...

Beautiful Sian, I love this card, with the silhouettes and the touches of gold :) The quotes are fab. The recipients of these cards will be lucky people! Thank you also for your lovely comment on my JYC video :D xxx

Lou said...

a beautiful card Sian...I love all the elements..fantastic quotes too x

Jo said...

That is a lovely card and some great quotes :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely card Sian. I love that third quote about the trees. I'll have to remember it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails