Monday 17 August 2015

Me On Monday

It was the weekend of the long drive. We have one Granny in hospital two hours away in one direction, the other settling into her new home, and needing some company, an hour away in the other direction; and a girl who is taking every chance offered for a driving lesson.

So it was a motorway cruising, country lane bumping, coast road enjoying "I'll drive if you promise there aren't any hill starts on this bit" kind of a weekend. We got there in the end. We got everywhere, though I have no photos because asking to stop might have stirred up a mutiny.

Someone asked me if I'd been knitting when it wasn't my turn to drive. Mmm..I haven't knitted in the car since I was about ten and my uncle turned round from his driver's seat to discover my cousin and me knitting dolls clothes, fast so we'd be finished by the time he left me home. He told us terrible stories about where the knitting needles would arrive should we stop in a hurry. Was he right? 

Since we're talking dicing with death, I'll mention Granny's only piece of gossip. She said that when Little E had been to visit the day before, he hadn't been in a very good mood. He had discovered that the new puppy can skateboard better than he can. Skateboard? Skateboard? Get off that thing, Little E! You don't want another broken foot.

So we drove and we drove and we turned round and we drove cross country the other way, from the seashore to the lakes, and back to the city... And every so often we gave a cheer to our girl and her exam results because we didn't want her to feel forgotten about in the middle of it all.

Which leaves me on Monday, looking forward very much to Pilates tonight and enjoying a treat, because we did stop just the once, at the Farm Shop, and we bought some watermelon:



Last week Lizzy, Sandra, Eileen, Louise, Jo, Deb, Barbara, Rinda, Helena, Gail, Mary-Lou, Ladkyis, Cheri, Julia, Sheena, Fiona and Alison gave us a wave, told us their news, wished us the best of the new week. Go on, wish 'em a good one right back! Happy Monday.

26 comments:

helena said...

Congratulations on exam success. That is a lot of travel for Granny visiting. Have a great week

Julie Kirk said...

You're a bit late with your watermelon, didn't you know it was Watermelon Day on 3rd Aug? [True fact. Who knew/cared?]

I'm sure the Grannies have both been telling you not to put yourselves out on their behalf [I know mine would have] ... but isn't a nice feeling when you *can* help out. x

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Congratulations to your girl. Both for her exam results and cracking on with the driving. Lovely to see you with a big "smile" this morning.

debs14 said...

Lovely to hear that there was good news on the exam front - time to start visiting those unis now! At least all the Granny visiting is giving lots of driving experience - hope they are both settled now.
A skateboarding Little E - the mind boggles. Just how does he know the puppy can skateboard anyway? Let's hope there are no more visits to A&E!

Patio Postcards said...

You look so composed & cool with your watermelon grin especially after all that driving. Grannies will have appreciated. Knitting in a car, while moving - oh my. I am with Uncle on this one. Skateboards! grumble grumble ... I'll say no more.

Becky said...

Congratulations on the exam success. Hope the Pilates helps you unwind a little tonight. Best wishes to both grandmothers.

Susanne said...

Well, it's lucky you could get to both Grannies in both directions - sending good wishes for recuperation and readjustment, respectively. Happy Monday.

KraftyKaren said...

Sorry I didn't get to wave at you last Monday - making up for it this week. Sending get well wishes for your Mum xx Sounds like a busy weekend - I use to knit on coach trips and the driver on one of our trips did have quite a go at me when he found out - didn't stop me LOL!! I cross stitch in the car - Mr P doesn't like how I tuck my scissors under my leg so that I don't lose them. Have a good week and enjoy your watermelon x

Melissa said...

Sounds like a busy weekend with lots of opportunities to practice the driving. So glad y'all were able to visit both the grannies - I'm sure they were both happy for the visits. I'm waving back from Texas as I clean house, do a little paperwork, and set up for an Intro to Bible Journaling class I'm hosting here tomorrow for my young lady friends who'll be heading back to college at the end of the week. Have a great week!

Maggie said...

If only you could split yourself in half and send one half either way! Not sure about the knitting needles although they say a loose pen in a car could become a missile! And Little E on his skateboard...oh dear! Well done to the girl on her exam results. We are celebrating here too. As for the driving. I think through journeys to see if they are going to be stress free for the learner or me and then there is a diversion!

Jennifer Shaw said...

Oh I feel so bad for you and the need of both parents at the same time. It brings me back to the time when my father-in-law passed away and my mother had a stroke on the same day. We really did feel split in half with being needed everywhere at once. I'm thinking of you at this time. I don't think we fully understand the stress of aging parents until we experience it. It is a hard time. Enjoy that watermelon. It's my favourite fruit. I have some in my fridge calling my name.

Jo.C said...

Congratulations on the exam results - great news.
Hope both grannies are feeling a bit chirpier this week xx

scrappyjacky said...

A lot of traveling.....but grannies are worth it.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh I wondered about exam results. Glad to hear they were worth shouting about. Hope both grannies are feeling better soon and the travelling isn't necessary for much longer.

Ladkyis said...

I'm in again, Love the idea of TNSSO driving. It doesn't seem like five minutes since she really was small.

Sandra said...

What lovely news about her exams ... Congratulations and eerrr good luck on the hill starts lol xx

Good to hear that both grannies are doing better too x

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the exam results, and I hope you have a calmer week!

Julia said...

Seems like everything happens for a reason so maybe you needed to ge visiting both grannies so she could do all that driving! Well done on the exam results and hope you enjoyed the watermelon (always reminds me of holidays in Greece) Happy Monday x

Sheena said...

Congrats on the exam results we collected AS's here.x

Sian said...

Haha! I didn't know that. Maybe that's one to remember for a post next year

Gail said...

Congrats on the exam results and good luck with the driving (to Mum too). Wishing both grannies well.

Jo said...

That sounds like a really busy weekend with lots of miles covered! Great news about the exam results x

Karen said...

Congrats on the exams, and the driving! Keeping everyone in my prayers.

Lou said...

ahh good news on the exam result front. Hope both grannies enjoyed their visit. I still don't like hill starts even now. As for the knitting, that would be something my dad would have said. Maybe thats why i always used to crochet in the car :) x

Lizzy Hill said...

Oh gosh! A busy weekend indeedy. Sounds like your grannies still need a bit of loving and attention. I hope it all comes right in the end....take care with yourself and with them:) And good on your girl, it sounds like she did well in her exams:):)

alexa said...

Many congratulations to your girl for her exam results :). What good parents you are, to make sure there time to fete her success, as well as look after your own Mums too... Driving without hill starts? I am afraid she wouldn't ever get off the starting blocks here :). That's a truly lovely photo of you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails