Wednesday 27 January 2016

A Few Things I'm Finding Amusing (and One I Don't Like At All)

...because I'm looking for little laughs where I can.

So, what's making me smile round here?

- My new high score in my newest addiction. I'm not a FB games player, and I don't have any on my phone at all. But when I get a minute, I admit it, I lift the ipad and hope nobody notices me getting in a bit of practise on 10/10.


Some here prefer Crossy Road. But I know my limits. Plus, I've only just exited the nineties and left Tetris behind me.

- Christmas tree prickles. They shouldn't be a thing this late in January. (I know, I know, many of you say they shouldn't be a thing at all). But, really? Why did one float past me in the bath last night? Where had it come from? (don't answer that) and where was it headed? (don't think about that). Enough. I've emptied the vacuum cleaner once and I don't expect to have to do it again.

- Little E and his happy face appearing...for facetime. Although this week he looked pale and tired, laid low by a bout of tonsillitis (ooh, thanks spellchecker: who knew that was such a hard word to get right); and by an unnerving incident with Teddy Pippin and a washing machine door which wouldn't open. Don't panic. It turned out alright in the end.

- The (Not So) Small One (who probably needs renamed yet again) hit the city's hostelries on Friday night, to celebrate a friend's eighteenth birthday. Now, if you've been reading here a while, you might remember the story of the white denim jacket (it's here); and, if you do, you will, I hope, smile as I did, when I heard she had ended up in the very same place, still bearing the very same name, where I had worn the very same jacket some thirty years before. It's a lucky jacket, that one. So FB says. Though it's been working its magic since before FB could even have been imagined..

Little things, folks: little things.

Oh, and one which I thought I'd mention in case you had noticed it too. The other morning I woke up to discover I had lost about a dozen blog followers overnight. Now, I didn't think I'd said anything awful ( though of course I had a moment of wondering); so I did a bit of digging around and I found this post on Blogger Buzz An Update On Google Friend Connect. Here it is:


"As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count."

So, just in case it happened to you too: please know it's not you, it's Google. And if you were following here with a non Google Account, please also know that this option is no longer available. May I suggest Bloglovin or Feedly? Or you can sign up for email updates. Thank you.

21 comments:

Maggie said...

I don't dare start on any of those IPad games . The last one I did I was totally addicted to! Christmas tree prickles? I seem to find them all year. Think of them as a lovely reminder of Christmas! Losing followers isn't good but I bet you are glad its nothing personal like your change of deodorant !

Cheri said...

If you are leaving the nineties, I have to wonder what decade I'm stuck in - I think my last foray into "gaming" of any sort was PacMan. I know that if I started something like words with friends I would be on it all. the. time. So I just know better than to even stick a toe in that water!

alexandra s.m. said...

It is indeed about the "little things" and you have brought me a lot of comfort today for I had lost over 25 followers this morning and kept thinking about what I must had done or said ;)
Thanks Sian~

Missus Wookie said...

I don't look at the number of followers so don't know if I've lost any or not. I'm just grateful that Feedly sorted itself out!

I do play some iphone/ipad games - words with friends and word streak both with friends. Have you tried, '7 words' or 'Red Herring'? Both are quick daily word puzzles.

Ruth said...

Thank you for explaining my drop in recorded blog readers! I thought it was me ...
So the white jacket lives to fight another day? Marvellous!
TNNSO could become The Teenage One, but that's a wee bit dull ... I'll give it some serious thought.

Sandra said...

Sometime I feel like the only person on this plant that doesn't play the Facebook or phone games ... I wonder if I'm missing something lol.

Karen said...

Using TypePad, I'm pretty sure we're unaffected, but I don't follow my stats, so I'd never know unless all of a sudden a regular commenter stopped commenting. Once in awhile I look at the readers' graph, and am always amazed at how many people stop by, but don't comment. No games like that for me. First, I'm not much good at it, and second, I'm barely keeping up with all my projects as it is!

Mitralee said...

oh goodness...I subscribe to you although I am sure we're friends through google...I go with the old fashioned method of an email. It's like getting a card in the mail when you are weeding through all the junk...and then there is something pretty and interesting...(and better yet not a bill)...did enjoy popping back for a read of the white jacket....I'm glad you are enjoying the little things...I do also agree with Karen...looking at the graph in blogger is kinda stunning...

Susanne said...

I've resisted the computer games all along, except for a brief flirtation with Scrabble on my phone. I am with you on not liking the latest Google change, and you've probably noticed that I am now one of your newest followers instead of one of your earliest - and I'm a little sad at losing my place in line. But it was entirely my own fault - I can't let Google take the blame. I was researching the loss of a follower or two, and found the explanation you did. I should have left well enough alone, but instead I then wondered how many now dormant blogs there were on which I was still listed as a follower. The accountant in me thought it a good idea to streamline my huge list in Blogger, even though I don't read other blogs there - I use Inoreader. But I attempted to delete some of the ones that were now dormant, and I accidentally deleted yours - which I am completely and totally blaming on a less than accurate HP wireless mouse (full blog rant surely to come). Honestly, I need to get back to scrapping and stop pretending I understand anything computer related!

Julia said...

Hee Hee! The pine needle in the bath made me chuckle! Why are you having to look for funny things? Hope nothing bad has happened. Hope Little E is on the mend too x

stephanie said...

Sneaky Google.....sneaky.

Anonymous said...

Sian, the tale of the white denim jacket is so wonderful! And loved hearing about Little E (hope he's better now). I have my moments with a game app: don't remember the name. Sort of like Scrabble (letters fall down and you have to make words before all the squares fill up)....it's strangely therapeutic (in a 'she's a lady who loves words' sort of way!!! (Hoping I can leave this comment today....)....Helen xx

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! It let me leave a comment!!!!! They must have made some other - less frustrating - changes as well as the annoying Twitter/Yahoo user changes....

Patio Postcards said...

Funny tale about the pine needle - I saw immediately a page & story. A photo of pine tree growing, Christmas pine tree & a pine needle in the bath - a full life circle for the pine needle. I play an online Christmas ornament smash game - it has no skill requirement, so I'm good. Poor Little E - tonsillitis can be wicked, are they leaving them in?

Melissa said...

That denim jacket is certainly does seem to continue to work its magic! Good to know about the Google account thing - I did notice a little drop off but wasn't sure what happened!

Lizzy Hill said...

Busy busy.....lots going on around your place. Hope the bug has GONE. Hope the Computer is playing nice....in amongst all that game playing of which I didn't understand a word except Tetris. I must still be hangin' in the '90s!!!!

Jo said...

It sounds like you've had a bit going on there. I hope Little E is feeling much better now. I don't play games on my phone or ipad, I'd never get anything done! :)

Jane said...

I'm addicted to songpop but find it hard to say no to a challenge so it's starting to become a full time job!

Becky said...

I started playing a couple of games a few years ago and they just took up too much of my time! Hope you and Little E are starting to feel better.

Sandie said...

I quite like solitaire, but don't play other computer games. They could become addictive (well, some of them!) so best not waste even more time on the computer than I already do.
Hope Little E is on the mend. There is so much sickness around this time of year. Tonsillitis (thanks spellchecker here too!) is so uncomfortable :(
I noticed I lost a few followers too Sian. Thanks for looking into the reason - I thought it was because I have been so naff at blogging and reading lately!

Anonymous said...

Well that's a new game for me to try! Hmm, it seems every month Google is doing something I don't like. Makes me wonder why I have my photos on google photos.

Related Posts with Thumbnails