Monday 1 August 2016

Memorandum Monday: Brass(o) In Pocket

Oh Monday: what have you got for us this week?It's been a long time coming, since they began to plot and plan and book online, this one. It's Prague week!

The (Not So) Small One (I'm going to have to stop calling her that: she's so completely grown up now, every time this morning that I've shouted up the stairs "Have you packed your...?"  I've heard Yep! right back at me) and her friends are leaving in the morning for an adventure all of their own. They are all used to travelling, but this is their first go it alone trip and the excitement, as we say round here, is mighty.





As she set off for another planning meeting on Saturday, she turned, bemused, and said,  "So you are going to spend all afternoon, just you and Dad, again?" 


Oh, yes. We had plans of our own and they included the wool shop, the hardware shop and then home for exactly, completely whatever we wanted to watch on TV. So, I did the wool shop (was pretty restrained, just one ball double knitting, for boot socks), then we bought a new whirligig (as we know: a rotary dryer, I think, is its common name. First thing I learned this weekend is that they come in different sizes and I've spent years squeezing laundry for four onto a two person. Who knew?)

Then we found a charity shop. As soon as I walked in the door I spotted a brass bowl exactly like the one we've had in the family for years, from Nigeria, Granny has a collection. So I paid 32 for it and the man behind the counter started to talk and it turned out he used to be a silversmith and he told us all about how he thought it had been made and about he technique of repousse, which creates a design in the opposite way, in relief; and it was a pleasure to listen because he was enjoying himself too, so that we left the shop knowing more than we did when we went in on a whim. Plus, we had a bowl to take to Granny. So we packed up the brasso yesterday and took a trip. "But it's exactly like my bowl! she said. Have you brought a cloth?

So that's what I learned this weekend. Did I try anything new


You know I like to share a local delicacy when I can (remember the Guinness flavoured crisps?). I have tried to try them. I just can't bring myself to open the bag. They might be amazing, all fried potato bread and bacon, but then again. I'll let you know. Sometime.

How about you? Did you try anything for the fist time or learn something you didn't know before? Today could be a good day to make a memo. Remember it on Monday! And then give us a shout so that we can share, just as..

Deb, Barbara, Helena, Eileen, Krafty Karen, Mitra, Mary-Lou, Ladkyis, Susanne, Maggie and Karen

did last time. Go on, give 'em a wave! And have a good week.

21 comments:

debs14 said...

We have an almost identical bowl here (along with several other brass items from my mum's collection) Oh how I remember 'brass cleaning' day, those wads of brasso that turned your fingers black and greasy - you've woken a lot of memories for me today!

Lizzy Hill said...

How wonderful! what a fabulous weekend..... & yay! To tapping into someone's passion and learning from it!!!! HOpe the Prague trip goes well :)

Susanne said...

Sounds like a fun time - there's always something to be learn from shopkeepers. And I'll be doing on search on a rotary dryer, as I have never heard of them. (Yep, totally spoiled over here with an electric dryer, whose carbon footprint I choose to ignore.) Our weekend was subdued except for a little Pokemon hunting and 2 hours and 3 minutes of the action-packed Jason Bourne movie. It was good, although I am a little miffed that so early in the movie they seem to enjoy . . . oops, that would have been a spoiler. Have a good week Sian.

Julie Kirk said...

I had a brassy weekend moment too - we bought an old snooker scoreboard and the markers need cleaning. Someone loaned us some new-fangled brass cleaner that you kind of wipe on and off again ... no stinky polish and cloths ... but I can't say it's been a roaring success. (In fact I'm now doubting that the metal is even brass! which I guess would explain things ...)

I think you should get those crisps opened ...

Have a lovely week, all of you, I hope the momentum of The Mighty Excitement keeps her going throughout the trip and home again. x

helena said...

I can smell the brasso - I fancy a taste of those crisps though not sure about a whole bag. What an adventure off to Prague - on my places I want to visit soon list - have a good week with just the 2 of you

Jane said...

I can remember my mum using brasso, I'm too lazy I'm afraid.

Ruth said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend ... Ulster Fry? Somethings are just plain wrong.

Melissa said...

Oh, the (not-so) small one is definitely growing up . . . venturing out on her own with friends & everything! Sounds like a nice weekend!

This weekend, I tried a new product (Dylusions Dyan Reaveley paint) in my Bible & it's a new favorite!

Maggie said...

Brasso...it doesn't come out half as often as it should in this household! I hope your daughter has a great trip. Our girl is safely back home. We have seen the Prague photos, it looks lovely but we still have about 2 weeks of photos still to see!

Karen said...

I was thinking of Maggie's daughter when I read your post. Prague is near the top of my bucket list, but there's no big trip planned in the near future. Your day sounds lovely; I'm always a fan of visiting little shops, and hope to get a bit of that in while we're on vacation this month.

KraftyKaren said...

We call them whirly gigs too, I have a huge one which means I am continually having to trim the shrubs at the bottom of the garden otherwise it won't rotate.

Fortunately we have no brass here, I'm not a fan of brasso there is something about even the thought of using it that sets my teeth on edge LOL!! Mr P use to love narrowboat holidays as there is usually plenty of brass on a boat to be polished. He misses his old signalboxes as there was always plenty of brass to polish in those - sadly in these modern sterile signalling centres everything is plastic and MDF.

Have a great week and I have given you a little wave on my blog!!

Mitralee said...

You brought back a fabulous memory of my own using brasso...we have it here. It's strong enough to knock your SOCKS off! love that you wandered to a second hand store...so much fun!

alexa said...

Oh, your photo has brought back so many memories of my own - the strong Brasso smell, the feeling of the wadding between your fingers, Granny laying out the things for us to polish .... How exciting for TNSSO to be heading off through Europe on her own, and clearly very competently to boot. Hoping you all have a wonderful time. Pottering, putting your feet up, eating what and when you want - bliss! I'm reserving judgement on that packet though :).

Carmen said...

I'm so out of the loop with Blogland. When did you start Memorandum Monday? I love it! And will definitely try to play along... especially now that I have SUPERFAST INTERNET THAT DOESN'T DROP EVERY 5 MINUTES AND ACTUALLY OPENS PAGES! Yes it needed shouting, I'm so excited - it's like getting the internet for the first time again!

Can't wait to catch up! Love the story of your bowl :)

Patio Postcards said...

Brasso - oh my, I can "see" my Gran polishing candlesticks. That is a beautiful brass bowl you found & maybe a new friend in future finds.

Hope your daughter has a wonderful, fun, safe & wow expanding trip.

Jennifer Shaw said...

Yarn store, thrift shop and a new dryer sounds like a great weekend! So great that you found that beautiful bowl for your mother's collection.

Anonymous said...

Seeing the Brasso pulled me in - I so remember my Nana giving me the Brasso, always accompanied with the phrase 'Give it some elbow grease girl!' Loved the memories your post brought back x

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I think most of us will remember the Brasso! Wishing your girl safe and happy travels. I would have given you a friend's number, who lives just outside Prague, had I not just returned from spending a couple of days with him in the UK, while he visits his family here!

Lisa said...

Brasso takes me back to my childhood. I used to earn pennies from my gran cleaning windows and then polishing the silver and brass. Happy, simple times! Thanks for the trip back in time...

Jo said...

I bet that was a lovely conversation to have with the man in the charity shop. I didn't know about the rotary dryers either :)

Ali said...

How have I missed so any posts??? Love this post hope your daughters trip goes well x

Related Posts with Thumbnails