Monday 5 September 2016

Memorandum Monday: Labelled With Love

Some years ago now, though it feels as if it happened the year before last, I took a call from my Letting Agent: "Have you had that baby yet?" he asked. "Because there's a house I'd like you to see. Gotta keep in the game, Sian." And I laughed and said that I thought I could hang on for a bit and we went to see the house and I bought it. That baby arrived. She isn't quite ready to move into the very same house; but after a Saturday afternoon  (Saturday afternoon! Please! Is that not landlord dedication way above the call of duty?) spent in Ikea, I'm hopeful we're getting there. I'd be more hopeful if I hadn't heard someone mutter the words go back next week; but I'm telling myself that, even with a special catalogue launch , it couldn't be any busier than it was this week. Could it?

In memo terms, I can't say that I did anything new in Ikea. We're regulars. I'm married to a man who enjoys building flat packs more than doing almost anything else in life. But I arrived home, read a bit of the paper, and came away with a new word you may be interested in...

....vermodalen which is "the frustration of photographing something amazing when thousands of identical photos already exist"



This comes from The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows: can you imagine? A list of everything you could possibly feel sad about? That's not a happy thought. 

Just last week I ordered another set of prints from my Berlin phone photos collection. Pretty much everyone who stands in Alexanderplatz takes the picture I took. I don't mind that, though: there will be thousands of photos the same (or much better), yes; but if a photo is nothing without the feeling behind it, and I believe that to be so, then each one of those photos will mean something different to each person who takes it, or to anyone who looks at it. And maybe the meaning changes depending on what you go looking for, too.

That's the kind of thought I have when I go to a concert these days and look at the spread of generations all there to see the same band. Last night I went to watch Squeeze for the first time. You'll need to be at least as old as I am to remember their beginnings. My sister and I stood there, talking about the poster we had shared from a copy of Smash Hits magazine. She liked Glenn Tilbrook. I always liked Chris Difford, the thoughtful, quiet one, of a pair I can see now as songwriters for scrapbookers. The past has been bottled and labelled with love. 

Which brings me back to where I came in. I've been asked frequently over the last few weeks how I feel about the changes we'll be seeing here, as our girl starts her new life. I've decided that, next time I need to reply, I'll repeat what Glenn said about looking back: "I like the memory of how it was then and I like the reality of how it is now". Have a good week!

 Helena, Eileen, Mitra, Mary- Lou, Ladkyis, Susanne, Karen, Maggie, Alexandra, Deb, Barbara, KraftyKaren all made a memo last Monday. Go on: give 'em a wave! and please consider joining us. Anything new you did over the weekend? Anything you learned that you didn't know before? We'd love to know!

20 comments:

helena said...

Oh I remember seeing Squeeze way back in my student days - I remember the energy and hapiness from the group of us who wen tot see them and sing along. Love that word - maybe in the future where will be an app so that when our GPS shows us to be in the correct spot we can download a copy from a gallery of photos from that spot !!

helena said...

Oh and have a great week

Karen said...

A new word, two lovely quotes, and reflections that really resonate with me---a lovely way to start a holiday Monday! Thanks.

Jo said...

A great word, I'm like you and have to take my own photo of something even if it's been done a million times before because that particular is mine :) Have a great week.

Patio Postcards said...

I will be copying & scrap lifting those quotes, thank you for sharing. Vermodalen is such a great word, I am going to try to work into conversation soon so that I can own this word. Happy week ahead.

Julie Kirk said...

You're not scrapping all those other people's photos though are you (or are you? I know what you're like!!!)

It's been an age since I went to a music gig. I wouldn't even know who I'd bother to go and see these days (I now feel oooooollllddd).

It must be lovely reviving a house with such history for you all, best of luck with the IKEAing.

Ruth said...

I have to echo Julie's comments about reviving a house with a lot of personal history. Would be surprised to learn that I have never been to Ikea? Does that make me weird?

Maggie said...

You own photo through your lens is far more special than anyone else's. I suspect you will have a similar to feeling to me by the time they start... A feeling of a much lower bank balance than you had a week or so ago! But it's worth it!

alexandra s.m. said...

Hello dear Sian,

Your post moved me to tears for different reasons and that quote suits my life so perfectly.
I feel the same about taking pictures about places everyone knows, and pictures which will never be as beautiful as the ones I have seen. More and more these days, I am appreciating all the memories that come with age. For example, it used to be that only my husband had stories about Chicago, what it used to look like etc but now after over 20 years of living here, I have my own anecdotes.

All the Best,

KraftyKaren said...

Two really lovely quotes - the gig sounds great, a band we haven't seen but would like to.

Good luck with getting the house ready for its new occupant, have a great week x

alexa said...

Two delightful things to take away that are new to me too: vermodeln and your final quote about memory and reality. Good luck with the remodelling and landladying too - it sounds like it's going to be quite a week!

Mitralee said...

Honestly, I learned something in the first couple of sentences! Letting Agent...I think we call them Real Estate agents here...I think it's awesome you are married to someone who likes building things...that is super cool! Love using tools myself! Hugs!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I love that quote. A friend said to me recently that the best is yet to come. I think that's a great outlook to have. Apparently my Memo Monday didn't auto post yesterday. I'm actually glad, as I don't need to feel quite so unloved now! It certainly explains why nobody commented!

Lizzy Hill said...

Awwww....love that last little quote re: your girl! So fitting for life in both particular and in general! You're lucky to have a flat packer lover in your house. In this house it becomes a Major Performance and Drama space. Luckily there is no Ikea around so we're pretty safe. Mind you, I'd LIKE an Ikea to be around!!!! I'm going now.....rambling;)!!!

Susanne said...

Isn't it nice when our lives circle back around to our earlier days. What better place could there be for her to be starting new! And if you are close enough to IKEA to be a regular, you get no sympathy from me for getting to go back again next week!!

debs14 said...

Someone who loves making flatpack furniture? Surely that's an endangered species, better hold onto him!
How strange that the flat you bought before she arrived is now going to be hers.
I never knew that word before, but there is nothing like seeing your own photo and remembering standing there, getting it in the viewfinder and taking your own.

Cheri said...

Interesting word - and likely what my daughters felt when trying to get their iconic photo of the Tower Bridge!

Jennifer Shaw said...

Oh I love that quote. The empty nest thing takes a bit of getting used to. Rob hates building Ikea even more than he hates it when I drag him to that store. LOL We went last week and I picked up the new stacking votives, some napkins and a blanket for the dogs. Very exciting time of life for your daughter. Best wishes to her. :)

Melissa said...

Oh my, that does seem like excellent landlording! Great quote at the end, too!

Lizzie said...

That's a great way to look at it. James is off to Uni too. Next Saturday, we will take him (and all his stuff...will there be room in the car?!) to Birmingham, where he will move into a flat, shared with five other new students, on the edge of the campus. He will have his own bedroom and shower room (the luxury of his own bathroom!), but share the living/dining/kitchen with the others. We have a pile of things building up on the snug/music room floor and in the corner of the main living room. Discussions are ongoing, about whether he wants the really big suitcase, to hold his clothes and stuff (probably he will), how he will sort out the meal allowance part of his rent (it includes £50 a week to use for meals throughout the campus, but he will need to sort out some meals for himself, as £50 won't cover all!), whether he now has all the things he will need (answer - mostly, but we need to wait til he sees his room)... It's a busy time.
I love your way of looking at this... It's a strange time for parents, as well as for the students. A new start, yet a continuation too. I am also glad of the past, as well as the future... and trying to be content with the present.

I wish you all good luck with the new chapter in your family life. I hope it works well for all of you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails